Sunday 13 May 2012

Alcoholic Lentils

On third Saturday in April the weather had limited the prospects of there being any cricket matches to play in so I got down to the task of cooking some Pui Lentils in Red Wine for my tea. I slapped Peter Gabriel's 1986 blockbuster So onto the stereo which with its opening song Red Rain provided an appropriate soundtrack seeing as it was absolutely throwing it down outside.

I took five hundred grams of Puy Lentils, covered them with a saucepan and left them on a low heat to gradually come to the boil. In the meantime I put enough olive oil into my Le Cresceut Dish to cover the bottom and added three cloves of garlic, which I had previously cut into small pieces, and added a quarter of a teaspoon full of white pepper. While these ingredients were slowly frying on a low light on the hob I took one large white onion and five shallots and sliced them up  into (roughly) 1cm x 3cm pieces and added these to the garlic and pepper. I let these ingredients fry until the onions and shallots were starting to become transparent.

Turning my attention to the lentils I boiled them until there were more lentils than water in the pan and when the lentils had become soft enough to squash between my thumb and index finger I poured them (together with the remaining water) into the Le Cresceut dish with the shallots, onions, garlic and pepper. I then took half of a pint of red wine (I find Chilean Red Wine or Indian Red Wine the best for this dish) and half a pint of vegetable stock and added these to the dish. I then left the ingredients to cook on a medium heat for around forty minutes until the lentils and vegetables were soft and there was roughly enough liquid just to cover the vegetables.

This dish is delicious served, as it was on this occasion, with Sage Yorkshire Pudding (see blog entry for 26 February 2012) and some steamed broccoli. As long as you get the right balance between the liquid and the vegetables it is a very easy dish to make.

This is what the dish should look like if you get the consistency of the ingredients right.

No comments: