Sunday 3 June 2012

Give Quiche a chance

The Sunday of the May Day bank holiday was going to be a busy and exciting one; the afternoon was to involve a trip to the pub to watch the penultimate round of Premiership matches and the evening promised a trip to Sheffield to watch the original incarnation of the Happy Mondays play together for the first time in nearly twenty years.

I realised that I needed to have a big dinner so I cooked a spinach quiche. I first greased a 2cm deep and 25cm wide pie tin with margarine and then dusted it with plain flour. I next made some wholemeal pastry out of eight ounces of wholemeal flour and lined the tin with it in the same way as I did when I made the olive and onion tart (see entry on this blog on 5 May 2012).

With the mannered, wintry new wave sounds of Peter Gabriel's sophomore solo album playing in the background I set about making the filling of the quiche. I first fried a pound of washed spinach in a deep frying pan until it had reduced by around two thirds. I then added four ounces of cream cheese, four ounces of grated cheddar cheese and two ounces of grated Parmesan together with a pinch of nutmeg. I then stirred the mixture and left it to cook on the lowest light possible on the gas hob.

In the meantime I cracked four eggs into a bowl and whisked them together thoroughly. I then poured them into the pan with the spinach and stirred them into it. I then dropped the contents into the pastry case and spread them evenly throughout it.

The next step was to cook the quiche the oven at 190 degrees (200 for a non-fanned oven) for half an hour. I knew the quiche was cooked through when I put a skewer into the mixture and it came out clean.

The quiche was exceptionally savoury to eat and the varieties of cheese made it very rich without being too filling and it certainly set me up nicely for the action-packed afternoon and evening that followed.

Freshly cooked- it was a little bit burnt round the edges but  the taste wasn't compromised at all

No comments: