Sunday 28 July 2013

Squashed Sage

After a warm and entertaining evening at the house of some friends and a pint at the local on the Saturday night the second Sunday in July kicked off with a garden party at a house with a back garden the size of a small village while the afternoon saw the preparation of something light and fresh to counter the fatigue I felt as a result of boiling heat.

I first made some wholemeal pastry from eight ounces of wholemeal bread flour and four ounces of low fat margarine. I rolled out the pastry so that it covered a 25 centimetre wide and two centimetre deep flan case.

As the aggressive opening guitar/ synthesizer riff of Pink Floyd's excellent 1972 offering Obscured by Clouds pushed its way out of stereo speakers I fried half a butternut squash, which I had first cut into cubes the size of a dice used in a board game with a thinly sliced red onion. I fried the squash and onion for around twenty minutes until the squash was soft enough to cut with the edge of tablespoon and the onion was translucent. I then took the dish off the heat and allowed it to cool.

In meantime I broke two eggs in a bowl and beat them hard before adding 250 milliliters of creme freche to the eggs. Next I spread the squash cubes and sliced onion evenly throughout the pastry case and then repeated the process with the eggs and creme freche. I then took several leaves of fresh sage I had obtained from the garden, washed them, shredded them and scattered them over the top of the pastry case. To finish I grated one hundred grams of Shropshire Blue Cheese onto the topping.

I cooked the flan in the oven at 180 degrees (more like 190 degrees for non-fan ovens) for twenty minutes until the creme freche had begun to harden and the edges of the flan had begun to turn golden-brown. Like the Linguine and Leeks dish this one was substantial but the creme freche took the edge of the heavy flavours of the squash and sage to make it fresh enough to eat outside in the garden as the hot summer sun beat down.

Bright and garish to match the summer flowers in my garden


No comments: