Saturday 26 October 2013

Personal Gingery

To help provide some motivation for my colleagues at work I recently made some gingerbread to take in for them. I used to bring my cooking projects into work more regularly but the job has become busier and some of my other free time has been taken up by accepting two public appointments. Still I managed to get some time to make some Grantham Gingerbreads which differ from normal gingerbread in that each piece is cooked individually rather than in a large block that is then cut up after it cools down.

I made them by creaming together four ounces of margarine and three and a half ounces of caster sugar. I then added the yolk of an egg and four ounces of self-raising flour and stirred these ingredients thoroughly together until a soft paste was formed. I then added two teaspoons of powdered ginger and mixed them into the paste.

After greasing a baking tray with margarine I added individual blobs of the paste to the tray. The blobs were around two centimetres wide and one centimetre high. I cooked them in the oven at 130 degrees (140 for non-fan ovens) for forty-five minutes.

The results were a gingerbread that was soft, not too tough on my teeth and (as one of my work collleagues commented) flavoursome without being  too overpowering.

Soft but tasty: the gingerbread just before I took it to work.

No comments: