Sunday 17 November 2013

Rule Daal

On the Tuesday of my recent week off in October after surviving my half-yearly check up at the Dentist I went for a dish that wouldn't be too hard on my teeth. I am very much a fan of curry and other spicy dishes so with this in mind I went for a Red Lentil Daal.

To continue with the heavy rock theme of the recent soundtracks to my culinary projects I stuck Hawkwind's 1975 space-rock masterpiece 'Warrior on the Edge of Time' . Released in 1975 it finds the band near the peak of their powers with epic and driving songs washed with synthesizers, saxes, guitars, driving bass and atmospheric flute such as "Assault and Battery" and "Golden Void". The album still sounds fresh today and sections of it clearly influenced the punk-rock movement that emerged two years later and lots of today's ambient and trance music.

I boiled eight ounces of white rice for around half an hour and while the rice boiled I did the following:

1. I fried in my Le Cresceut dish two ounces of sliced ginger root, one teaspoon of coriander, one teaspoon of turmeric, one teaspoon of ground cumin and three finely sliced cloves of garlic. As these ingredients slowly fried for a couple of minutes I cut up a yellow pepper into one centimetre squares and added it to the dish.

2. While these ingredients fried I boiled eight ounces of red lentils fiercely in a frying pan for around twenty minutes until they began to turn golden were soft enough to cut with the edge of a spoon. I took care to ensure that by the time they had cooked they had absorbed most of the water they had boiled in and could therefore they could be added straight to the Le Cresceut dish.

After the lentils had cooked with the contents of the Le Cresceut on a low heat for a further ten minutes I served them with the boiled white rice. The combination of Turmeric, Cumin, Ginger Root and Garlic served to help rid me of my cold that had been troubling me for a few days as the intense flavours cut through my sinuses and brought a real freshness to my day.

The Daal glowed a dull gold colour as a result of the bright yellow Turmeric in the recipe.

No comments: