Sunday 26 January 2014

Parkin of the North

Towards the bank end of November having digested the memorable, albeit a little over-complex, fiftieth anniversary episode of Doctor Who I elected to make something suitably fortifying to keep my energy levels up in the form of Parkin.

I had rediscovered my love for Parkin the previous summer when I received some from some good friends based in Shipley as part of a Yorkshire Hamper that they very kindly got me for my birthday present. I tried with this recipe to emulate the excellent Parkin I found in the Yorkshire Hamper.

I stirred together in a mixing bowl four ounces of self-raising flour, four ounces of porridge oats, four ounces of caster sugar and one teaspoon of ginger. Next I stirred in four ounces of margarine, which I had first allowed to get to room temperature so it was easier to mix in, which made the mixture resemble a thick paste. In order to soften up the ingredients a little I added a tablespoon of Golden Syrup, a beaten egg and a tablespoon of milk and stirred them all into the mixture. Once all the elements were properly stirred together I put them in a high-sided thoroughly greased baking tray and cooked them for 20 minutes at 170 degrees, or 180 degrees for non-fan ovens.

After turning the Parkin out onto a wire rack and letting it cool I cut it into medium-sized squares to prepare it for consumption. Its taste was sweet due to the syrup and sugar but also a little stodgy due to the flour and the oats which made it perfect material to fuel long winter walks with my dog.

                                     
                                          Thick, full of oats and ready to eat.

No comments: