Sunday 11 October 2015

Popping over

One of my approaches to cooking is informed by taking traditional recipes and giving them a modern twist. That was the case on a Saturday last month when I chanced upon an old recipe for Beef Popovers- something that is a throwback to the days of the 1960s and before.

Essentially beef popovers are tiny Yorkshire Puddings filled up with mince beef. However my twist was to use Quorn Mince instead of mince beef. With the sounds of ELO's underappreciated third album "On the Third Day" playing out in the background I got a patty cake tin case and greased each individual compartment with plenty of margarine to stop the batter casing I was to make from sticking unnecessarily.

I then put four ounces of plain flour into a mixing bowl and made a hole in the middle of the flour. Into this hole I poured the white and yolk of one egg. I then gradually stirred the egg into the flour until it absorbed as much of the flour as possible.

Next I added gradually around half a pint of milk and stirred it into the egg and flour until I had a very liquid batter mixture. I then distributed the mixture evenly between the tin cases like the father of many children who treats none as his favourite.

I weighed out eight ounces of Quorn Mince and after adding a pinch of white pepper to the mince I shaped the mince into 12 two centimetre balls. The mince was surprisingly ductile and easy to fashion into the desired shapes. I then put a ball each in the tin cases and cooked them in the oven for around 15- 20 minutes on 210 degrees (220 for non-fan ovens).

After allowing them to cool a little I served them with a side dish of leeks, melted margarine and tomato ketchup. They tasted (as expected) like bite size Yorkshire Puddings and the Quorn Mince had all the taste of mince beef but without the unpleasant fat content and aftertaste so regularly associated with mince beef.

The popovers, which I consumed at lunchtime after my morning walk, set me up well for a fruitless trip to the south of the county that afternoon and much more rewarding trip out that evening for an enjoyable catch up with two good friends.

These popovers were delicious when served with some boiled Leeks, melted margarine and tomato ketchup.

No comments: