Sunday 30 July 2017

How many beans make two?

After a surprisingly fresh last Saturday, which involved a quality head clearing walk, I decided it was high time to make a soup recipe for the blog. My inspiration came from a can of Butter beans that I had lying around in my cupboard. I decided to use them to form the foundation of the soup I was to prepare.

On the player was Shaun Ryder's obscene solo album "Amateur Night at the Big Top". I remember well reading a rather negative review for it when it came out back in '03, when I was a scruffy student travelling Europe with some good friends of mine. Out of curiosity I picked it up nearly a decade later and found the record to be little more than a set of swear words and quite entertaining blue stories spoken over arrangements that varied from hip hop to scuzzy trance music with a spot of Chilled Ibiza thrown in for good measure.

The Ingredients of this soup were:

1 Leek topped and tailed and sliced into hoops.
Fresh Broad Beans from three pods.
1 White Onion topped, tailed and diced.
5 sprigs of fresh Marjoram out of my garden.
1 can of Butter Beans.
A quarter of a pint of Vegetable Stock.

The method I used was as follows:

1. In my Le Cresceut I fried in Olive oil the Leek, Broad Beans, Onion and Marjoram for a period of  twenty-five minutes.
2. I then added, after draining them, the Butter Beans. I fried them in the Le Cresceut for a further ten minutes.
3. I then added quarter of a pint of Vegetable Stock and simmered everything for ten more minutes.
4. Next I took half of the contents of the Le Cresceut and blended them. I then added them back to the rest of the Le Cresceut to give texture to the soup and enhance the taste.
5. I then warmed everything through in the Le Cresceut and served the soup in a small bowl with some fresh sprigs of Marjoram on top for decoration.

The Marjoram and two types of beans made this dish. The Marjoram provided a unique and delicious taste while the Butter Beans and Broad Beans added substance to it not to mention plenty of protein.

Marjoram Leaves atop this soup added extra decoration and taste. 

No comments: