Sunday 5 November 2017

Pumpkins frying with Chestnuts

Part two of my cooking project to impress on 21 October 2017 again involved Pumpkin. It also involved, again, playing a Van Morrison Album. This time it was his 1990 record "Enlightenment". Plum tracks on this one include the devotional "Real, Real Gone", a number I could well relate to, and the stilted but fun slice of nostalgia "In the Days Before Rock 'n' Roll".

The main course was a Pumpkin and Chestnut Stew and it featured the following ingredients:

The cubed flesh of one Pumpkin
One diced Red Onion.
A pack of Pre-Cooked Chestnuts.
One Sharon Fruit topped and tailed.
A tablespoon of Dried Thyme
A tablespoon of Dried Sage.

This was a pretty easy dish to make and one, bear with me readers, that may seem on first look to be bland and banal. However the reality was quite different.

I poured some Olive Oil into the bottom of the Le Cresceut and then added all the ingredients bar the Chestnuts. The reason for this was that they were pre-cooked and so didn't need much extra cooking.

I stewed the ingredients on the hob on a medium heat with the lid on my Le Cresceut for about twenty-five minutes.

I then added the Chestnuts and cooked all the ingredients for another twenty minutes until the Pumpkin Flesh could be cut with ease by my plastic serving spoon.

I served the food with Honey Roast Parsnips (see 22 October 2017 entry for how to make these) and on this occasion these also included  chopped Cooking Apple with the Parsnips.

Again my dining partner provided the best insight into this dish. Her view, as was mine, that the dish was a rich and flavoursome evening meal. I would add that the Sharon Fruit, an underrated fruit that has a very short season, also gave the dish a unique twist and a taste of Autumn.

Sweet and Savoury- Honey Roast Parsnips sit well with the rich and tasty stew. 






No comments: