Sunday 14 January 2018

Crumpet Character

It was the weekend after New Year and my dining partner and I were after some fast food. This was necessary as we were meeting some good friends of mine in a newly opened bar, that moonlighted as a coffee shop in the daytime.

On the Player was Neil Diamond’s energetic 1971 stab at world music “Tap Root Manuscript". The famous comedian and actor Bill Murray once remarked that the world is divided into two categories of people; those who like Neil Diamond and those who do not. For tonight, at least, I was in the former category. 

The meal I was making was a Crumpet topped with Orange Juice and Beetroot Leaf dressing as well as Rocket and Quorn Fajitas.

The Ingredients were as follows: 

One pack of Rocket

Two Crumpets

A sachet of Quorn mock Fajitas

Ingredients for the dressing

Five Beetroot Leaves
Nine Walnut Halves.
The juice of one Orange.
Two Teaspoons of Fennel Seeds.
One Teaspoon of dried Parsley.
One cooked Beetroot sliced up.

To make the dressing I added some Olive Oil to the bottom of my Le Cresceut Dish and added all the ingredients for the dressing. I then fried them in the Olive Oil in the Le Cresceut on a medium heat for 15 minutes.

In the meantime I fried the Fajitas in a little Olive Oil in a frying pan, turning them regularly for a period of seven minutes.

Toward the end of the cooking time for the dressing and the Fajitas, I grilled the Crumpets for ten minutes on a medium setting under the grill.

When all the ingredients were cooked I put all the ingredients on top of each  Crumpet. First I put a layer  Rocket on each crumpet, I then added the Fajitas on top and then drizzled the dressing over both crumpets.

I served the food and my Dining partner said, on consuming her portion, that it was delicious, unique, and the dressing was beautiful. I would also add that it had a unique taste that was not overpowering due to the subtly varied flavours of the dressing and the spicy contents of the Fajitas. It was also a meal that only took thirty minutes to prepare- especially useful if you need something quick after a long day at work or a quick meal prior to a night out.

Multi-layered: the Dressing sits atop the Rocket, Fajita Pieces and the foundation of Crumpet. 


No comments: