Sunday 4 March 2018

Special Soup

The Drambuie shot rolled down my throat like bath water dropping down a plughole. The Friday night had gone well as I was in the pub with two of my oldest friends and the wonderful and kind other half of one of them. We all needed a bit of a blow out for different reasons after the working week. For me it had been a challenging week partly because the snow from the east had compromised my personal and professional activities to the extent that one day I had needed to walk six miles to the local station to catch a train to work.

The morning after I woke with a sore head but thankful for a cathartic night with great company. After a dazed wander to the supermarket, local greengrocer and the DIY shop, the Dogg and I put on our thickest winter coats and headed to the park. Then after a quick nap to banish the remainder of the Drambuie it was time to make tea.

The inspiration I found for cooking came from a visit to wonderful country restaurant with someone very special. At the restaurant in question we'd had a shot of Sweetcorn and Smoked Salmon Soup that was one of the finest soups I had ever tasted. It was high time I made my take on that recipe.

The ingredients for this recipe were as follows:

One medium sized can of Sweetcorn.
A pack of Smoked Salmon Slices.
Half a pint of Skimmed Milk.
A teaspoon of dried Chives.
A heaped teaspoon of Mustard Seeds.
A teaspoon of dried Tarragon.
A medium-sized Spunta Potato peeled and cut into cubes.
A medium-sized White Onion peeled, topped, tailed and fully diced.
Two Ounces of Unsalted Butter.
A tablespoon of White Wine Vinegar.

On the player was the Rolling Stones' peerless 1970 live record "Get Your Ya's Ya's Out". I often find if my back's against the wall or I'm facing exciting change the Stones' music gives me a special energy to succeed.  They've been a band that's been the soundtrack to my life ever since I was sixteen.

The method to make this soup was as follows:

1. On a medium heat on the hob in a saucepan sweat, in olive oil, the herbs, White Wine Vinegar, Potato, Onion and half the Sweetcorn for twenty minutes stirring regularly to stop things sticking to the bottom of the pan.

2. Add half the Milk and simmer lightly for another twenty-five minutes until the Potato becomes soft and can be cut with the side of a plastic serving spoon.

3. Take the pan off the hob and pour the contents into a blender.

4. Puree the food in the blender on the highest setting and then put the food back in the saucepan.

5. Cut all but one sheet of the Smoked Salmon into pieces and add to the pan with the rest of the Sweetcorn and remainder of the milk.

6. Heat through and serve in bowls that can be topped with parts of the spare sheet of Smoked Salmon and stray Sweetcorn pieces.

This take on the recipe was a much thicker and richer recipe than the dish that inspired it. The Tarragon, a herb more usually associated with Chicken, Mustard, Chives and White Wine Vinegar blended seamlessly to create a unique and savoury flavour. This offset the natural sweetness of the Sweetcorn and contrasted to the burnt-wood taste of the Salmon.

Yellow and Pink top -spare Salmon and Sweetcorn sits atop this irresistible Soup.  


No comments: