Sunday 2 September 2018

Stacking the chips

"Have a good night" smiled hotel receptionist calmly as I barreled out of the double doors and into the glare of the streetlights. Across the road was the car park I sometimes used for the day job. It was empty save one car in the middle. As I walked along the pavement I could see the first bar in the near distance. I broke into a run, the adrenaline was pumping through me. I was already on a high from having a wonderful time at my cousin's wedding, located at a wood in the Midlands, earlier that day. I had spent a very important and enjoyable time with a number of family members I'd not seen for years. I was genuinely touched by the warmth with which I was greeted and received, which meant any initial nerves or doubts about the day dissipated, leaving nothing but wonderful memories.

Now it was time for part two. As I raced towards the tavern it was time to slow down. Tonight was an important night. It was necessary to make a proper entrance and that involved not looking sweaty and out of breath.

The summer was coming steadily to an end. It had already been so much better than I could I have imagined back in early spring when the death of a close relative and the voluntary disappearance of another part of the roster occurred in quick succession. Since that time I had been to another memorable wedding, a beer festival, started to resurrect my cricket career, hosted a birthday party and hung out with the best people I could ask for both old and new.

I nodded a confident "good evening" to the bouncer and wheeled into the bar where I found the group and the birthday boy hidden under dim lights. I switched on the torch feature on my mobile phone, held it to my face and introduced myself. Not long after that the lights went up and the food arrived. I found myself sharing a plate of homemade chips and so began the start of a night that was exciting, memorable and felt as wonderful as breaking out of jail.

That brings to me the recipe for today's blog. I was inspired to make my own homemade chips and to do them as well as possible as I wanted to cook them more than one person one day.

The record on the player was Elvis' 1969 effort "From Elvis in Memphis". The album is one that for him marked an exciting new direction that its own way was as much a part of his legend as his groundbreaking early records for the Sun and RCA Labels. It also re-ignited his career. It was an album to take inspiration from for that reason, as well as appreciating the darn good music contained within.

The Potato I used to create the chips was a Red Potato sourced from local greengrocer who also runs a tasty sideline vending Lion Bars.

I peeled the Potato and then cut it into pieces that were around six centimetres long, one and a half centimetres wide and roughly a centimetre to half a centimetre deep.

I put some Olive Oil into a frying pan and then warmed it up on a medium heat. As I didn't have a deep fat fryer available I knew that creating these chips was going to take concentration, precision and timing to ensure they weren't underdone or too burnt.

The trick I used was to fry them on a medium-sized hob on a medium heat for around forty minutes. The trick was to turn them very regularly, probably around every five minutes, to ensure they didn't get overdone and one side, be burned on the outside but raw in the middle. This means you have to spend a lot of time close to the hob not doing much else but it's definitely worth it.

I served these chips drizzled in Parsley, Dill, Spring Onion and Butter Sauce with some fillets of Mackerel that I had fried in my Le Cresceut. In doing so I seemed to have created some kind of sophisticated version of Fish & Chips. The time it had taken to make the chips was totally justified by the taste. Unlike Oven Chips these chips were soft, juicy, tasted of genuine Potatoes and didn't have the industrial taste I often associated with those type of pre-cooked chips.

A new recipe, a new direction? Let the good times roll.

Stage One- the finished chips are tastefully arranged on a serving plate

Stage Two- the Mackerel and Sauce are placed on top of the chips to give an alternate take on the popular dish of Fish & Chips.


No comments: