Sunday 4 October 2020

Assault on Ravioli Mountain


The late September Summer Sun had permitted time for a spontaneous picnic at a site at a place I had known for over thirty years. It had been a weekend of marking time as I had enjoyed my last meal in the house my parents had lived in for thirty-two years before their move that week. It then felt appropriate for me to take a walk and a picnic in the woods where I had walked with them as a boy when they first moved into their old house. 

For some reason for me late summer sun and the music of Neil Young are two things that go together like coffee and cream. It was his rather nostalgic "Harvest Moon" album, which was a nostalgic follow up to his classic 1972 record "Harvest", that was playing through my head as I visualised the younger version of myself and my parents walking near me a lifetime ago as the Dogg and I enjoyed our picnic. 

It was appropriate therefore that as I began to cook tea my upgraded digital copy of "Harvest Moon" was on the player as I allowed myself some, admittedly rare these days, nostalgic thoughts. 

A link to this wonderful record is at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6ogdCG3tAWhK2kzKKVzTIpGmhJudA72N

For the recipe I went for something simple and rich that I'll aim to make a more complicated version of for this blog in the future. Two good friends of mine had been kind enough to donate me an inspirational Le Cresceut cook book with a number of recipes in that are quick and tasty. The recipe on this post is baked Ravioli recipe and the ingredients go like this:

Two Shallots carefully peeled, topped and tailed and sliced thinly.

Seven Tomatoes cut into quarters.

Five Basil leaves shredded thinly. 

Five sprigs of Thyme

One clove of Garlic, topped, tailed, peeled and sliced thinly. 

Ten slices of Cheddar and Mozzerela Cheese.

Eight grams  of Pine Nuts.

Three hundred grams of pre-made Ravioli with a flavour of your choice. 

The method is as follows:

1. Boil the Ravioli in a pan for two minutes.

2. Fry in a Le Cresceut Dish in Sunflower Oil the Herbs, Vegetables and Pine Nuts for ten minutes.

3. Add the cheese and Ravioli in layers. Cook for about ten minutes on the hob in the Le Cresceut until it's melted. Then serve it. 

The cheese layers and the filling of the Ravioli pieces puts this recipe in danger of being a richness overload. This said the fresh herbs, that I grew in my garden, and the tomato add a healthy edge to it while the pine nuts provide some unexpected protein. Tune in for a future edition where I will make Ravioli from scratch. 



No comments: