Sunday 22 January 2023

Broadbean Bazaar


 It was the wettest day of the month and rain drops hung like beads of sweat on the lush grass growing near the railway track running close to my home. It was the morning after some hard work in helping my cricket team to get a draw and the lion's share of the points to move ourselves off the bottom of the table. It was also the morning after some revelations, albeit ones that would naturally open the door to something wonderful and new, with the realisation that the love you take is always equal to the love you make.

Against these rather deep Sunday Morning thoughts it was time to get creative with the remainder of some delicious bacon sourced from Stretton Hall Farm | Facebook . I had three slices left and I slashed these into small cubes and fried them for around three minutes. Then I put them to one side on a serving plate. 

As I steamed the Broad Beans I had plucked from my garden, the Rolling Stones' excellent album "Exile on Main Street" blared noisy defiance on the player. It was just the inspirational music that was needed after some recent challenges I had faced. The record is one that despite containing sounds as old as the hills, remains fresh and vital. Those of you who haven't checked it out could do worse than take a listen at: Exile On Main St. - YouTube  

The Broad Beans were steamed for around ten minutes to ensure they remained flavoursome but not too al dente. After that I fried in the bacon fat left over from the earlier frying two diced Onions and a diced clove of Garlic. I fried them for ten minutes until the Onions were translucent. I then added the Bacon Pieces, the juice of one Lemon, six fresh Mint Leaves and three small heads of fresh Parsley and mixed all these ingredients together. Then I added the Broad Beans and warmed everything through. 

I served the mixture on a bed of fresh red lettuce leaves. With the use of a lot of fresh, green vegetables this dish had the positive tastes that summer meals bring. 

No comments: