Sunday 13 July 2014

Tour De Food

Last weekend I was away up north in Huddersfield for a Tour De France themed barbeque and also to watch a stage of the Tour as it came on a route near the town. The night before we went to see the Tour and have the barbeque we settled upon a spot of home cooking followed by an early night.

There was only one choice for the starter- French Onion Soup. As I was away from home I didn't have the usual wide range of cooking facilities so I started by frying in a wok two thinly sliced white onions with three ounces of melted margarine. I stirred the onions constantly while they were being fried and once they were translucent I added the leaves from five shoots of fresh Thyme together with half a pint of red wine.

I let the wine boil vigorously until it was absorbed by the onions and the Thyme. In doing this I ensured that the onions were soaked with lots of flavour. I then added a pint of beef stock to the wok and let it stew.

While the soup stewed on the wok I cut some white baguette into thick slices and put thin slices of Gruyere cheese on top of it. I then shared the soup out in bowls and put a slice of baguette with Gruyere atop it on each bowl so that the bread floated on top of the soup. Next I heated up the grill and put the bowls underneath it until the Gruyere had melted on top of the bread. Now the soup was ready to eat.

I've made French Onion Soup on a number of occasions and often utilised vegetable stock or chicken. However the beef stock made a real difference this time round and gave the soup a more earthier taste which complemented the rich Bordeaux Red Wine and Gruyere cheese I used in the recipe. The main course for this meal will be on the blog very soon...

  Rich Gruyere cheese on top of a baguette floating on a rich soup containing Bordeaux Red Wine all of which equal a dish that is as French as the Eiffel Tower.  
                                        

No comments: