Sunday 20 July 2014

New Jerusalem


The last four days have been good ones; the sun has shone, I've played a round of golf, seen plenty of good friends in super surroundings, enjoyed some relaxing walks and been away from the office. The generally sunny weather has meant a lot stickiness and mugginess hanging in the air as well, not good weather you would think for making soup however the soup I prepared on today was an exception to the rule.

I had been a long walk in a sun that had succeeded in burning my neck and making my dog collapse with exhaustion in a meadow at various points but we made it back by mid-afternoon even though I could have stayed out all day.

One of David Bowie's slightly weaker efforts, 1984's "Tonight" was on the media player and it contained some summery music in the form of a slightly tired cover of the Beach Boys' song "God Only Knows".

The key ingredient of the soup was a selection of six Jerusalem Artichokes that I had picked up  from the local market the previous week. You will be hard pressed to find this vegetable at your local supermarket and I would certainly recommend looking at your local market stall to pick it up, one good reason why you should not always rely on the big supermarkets for your food.

Before starting work on the artichokes I topped and tailed two white onions and then diced them. The onions were so strong that I had to put on a pair of goggles while preparing them! Next I topped and tailed six cloves of garlic but I did not cut them up in any other way. After melting four ounces of low fat margarine in a large pan on the hob I added the onions and garlic and let them stew for around fifteen minutes until the onions became soft and translucent.

While the onions and garlic cooked I prepared the Jerusalem Artichokes by peeling the dark brown skin from them and then cutting them up into small rectangles. I added them to the pan of onions and garlic with a pint and a half of chicken stock and a quarter of a pint of milk. I let the ingredients simmer away for around half an hour before taking them off the heat and then blending them when cooled.

After the blending I added half a pint of plain, low fat Greek Yoghurt to the pan and stirred it in thoroughly with the rest of the soup. Once I had warmed the soup through I served it with some chives to garnish that I put on top of each bowl of soup.

The margarine and the garlic gave the soup a real tangy and sweet taste that offset the strong flavour of the Jerusalem Artichoke, which tasted much like watercress. Despite it being a warm dish I found it to be very refreshing especially when consumed sat in the garden as the evening sun beat down.

Ready to eat and garnished with chives freshly cut from the back garden.

No comments: