Sunday 7 September 2014

Cake Bush

Yesterday I was in preparation mode as after being on hand at a local pub on the Friday night to celebrate the birthday of one of my oldest friends I decided to cook a cake and a loaf for two other friends who were having a belated birthday celebration at a barbecue that evening.

I chose Kate Bush's super 1989 effort "The Sensual World" to listen to while I prepared the cakes. The album's strengths lie in the atmospheric use of uillean pipes on many of the songs, David Gilmour guesting on guitar on some tracks and above all some consistently top notch song writing by Kate. The song "The Fog" made the album an appropriate selection also as I had spent most of the week driving to work in fog and latterly walking in it with my dog that morning.

The first cake I made was a Madeira Cake. I started by greasing with margarine a twenty centimetre wide cake tin that was around five centimetres deep. I cannot overstate the importance of greasing a cake tin thoroughly so as to stop the cake sticking in it after it has been cooked.

I broke three eggs, after first getting them to room temperature, and whisked them together in a bowl. Next in a separate bowl I creamed together five ounces of margarine and five ounces of caster sugar. I made sure that the ingredients were mixed together by mixing them so thoroughly that very few of the grains of sugar were left loose in the bowl.

After the margarine and sugar were mixed together I added the beaten eggs and two ounces of self-raising floor into the bowl and mixed the ingredients together until there was no loose egg yolk or flour showing in the bowl.

Some variations on this recipe use lemon essence in the cake mixture but I prefer the real thing and with this in mind I squeezed the juice of half a lemon into the mixture and then added the remaining flour to it which I folded into the mixture leaving it with the consistency of a thick paste.

I added the mixture to the cake tin and then cooked it on170 degrees (180 for non-fan ovens) for one hour. I knew the cake was ready when I took it out of the oven, pierced it with a skewer and the skewer came out clean.

I took the cake to the barbecue that night where it was able to compliment the excellent Spanish Food and delicious barbecue prepared by my friends. The light sponge and lemon certainly in my mind helped provide good support to the tasty pork belly, flavoursome chorizo and the sausages that I consumed.

The next instalment of this blog will cover the orange and sultana loaf so watch this space...

Golden Brown: fresh out of the oven.

There was not much of the cake or the loaf left by the end of the barbecue- a good sign :-)

No comments: