Sunday 21 February 2016

Scrambling Spinach

The mild weather returned towards January's end and as a result it suddenly became easier to get out of bed in the morning and the sunshine returned too which is always as bonus at this time of year.

That said towards the end of the month the weather was better for walking in and one of my closest friends and I on a Sunday, not far from payday, took to the hills with our respective dogs for a long, cathartic walk where we shared our recent experiences and set the world to rights. It was after a post-walk cup of tea that I decided to prepare a healthy but rich lunch that was one step beyond my usual Sunday Lunchtime fare of cheese and biscuits.

The dish I settled upon was scrambled eggs with spinach which is a simple dish to make and very healthy. The ingredients I used where as follows:

Three eggs
Four ounces of light margarine.
Three tablespoons of semi-skimmed milk
A tablespoon of dried Tarragon.
A tablespoon of white wine vinegar.
Half a tablespoon of squeezed mustard.
One ounce of grated cheese.
Two handfuls of spinach.

The album on my MP3 player was one I bought at the start of my second year at university, nearly fourteen years ago, being Love's 1967 effort Da Capo. This album is best categorised as a psychedlic record and it encapsulates both the best and the excessive elements of this sub-genre. On one hand you have the first six songs that are short, sharp and memorable as well as ground-breaking. However this is balanced out by the nineteen minute jam which closes the record that is typical psychedelic excess although having said that it is much more interesting than many similar jams by other artists as it includes amongst other things a saxophone solo.

I broke the three eggs in a mixing bowl and then whisked them together very rapidly. In the meantime I melted the margarine into a sauce pan and once it had melted I added the Tarragon to it. Then came the whisked eggs followed by the milk, white vine vinegar and the mustard. While keeping everything on a low heat I stirred it constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture had thickened.

After this I put the spinach into the mixture and once it had blended in sufficiently I added the grated cheese and melted this into what was now scrambled eggs with spinach. Soon the dish was ready to serve and I added some more spinach to the top of it for decorative purposes.

Spinach has plenty of iron in it and it also gave the meal a fresh taste that was offset by the richness of the eggs and margarine, albeit low fat margarine, while the tarragon, vinegar and mustard added a matureness to the meal that worked very well.

More interesting than your average Sunday Snack complete with decorative spinach leaves

No comments: