Sunday 28 February 2016

Squashed Risotto

It was Wednesday, it was January it had rained (again) and spring seemed rather a long way away. As is the way at this time of year it was dark by the time I got home from work, although to be fair as I was leaving the office the last vestiges of daylight were clinging to the rooftops of Rawmarsh as I climbed into the car.

Rather than making something quick from, to borrow one of my secretary's catchphrases, "out the freezer" I decided to treat myself to making a dish I would usually reserve for the weekend when I had more time on my hands.

It was a recipe I learned from my dad in the days when I lived at home. The ingredients I used were as follows:

1. 8 ounces of risotto rice.
2. 3 cloves of garlic.
3. Half a red onion.
4. 1 litre of vegetable stock.
5. Teaspoon of paprika.
6. Teaspoon of white pepper.
7. Half the flesh of a butternut squash.
8. Half a bottle of red wine.
9. 10 ounces quorn pieces.
10. 3 ounces of grated Red Leicester cheese.
11. Salad leaves to garnish.

The album on my MP3 player was something that was a little downbeat to say it was the middle of the working week and I tend during this time to listen to energetic music to keep me pumped up and in the zone for the challenges of the day job. The album was Radiohead's 2003 effort Hail to the Thief that had arrived in the post earlier in the day. It is an album that combines their nascent guitar driven work with their, at the time, more recent dalliances with the world of electronica. The project is a real success and beneath the fog of electric swirls and Thom Yorke's wintry whine is hidden a great record that rewards repeated listens.

As I had not had time, or cash, to invest in a Le Cresceut since I moved to my new place I had to use the wok and I covered the bottom of it with rapeseed oil. Next I diced the garlic and onion and fried them gently for around five minutes together with the paprika and the white pepper.

After five minutes I added the butternut squash pieces, quorn pieces and the rice and another five minutes of frying, whilst constantly stirring the ingredients to stop them sticking, ensued. I then emptied half a bottle of red wine into the wok and stirred it into the food steadily until it had been absorbed. I used a Riocha Wine which had a rich taste to say the least.

After the wine was absorbed I poured in half of the vegetable stock and stirred it in until it too was absorbed. Next came the second half of the vegetable stock and when around two thirds of this had been absorbed I added the grated Red Leicester which ensured that, once it had melted, the risotto was thick and not overly runny.

I then served it with some salad leaves to garnish as well. The trick with risotto is making sure that you have some surplus liquid so it is not overly dry while at the same time ensuring the risotto rice is fully cooked and not unecessary al dente. This was something I managed to achieve with this dish, which proved to be real comfort food on a dark winter's night that left me in a positive and energetic frame of mind for work the next day.

The red wine gave the Quorn Pieces and the risotto rice a claret hue and a rich taste.


No comments: