Monday 1 May 2017

Turnip Winter

The Turnip Winter of 1916-17 is an infamous part of German History. It came about in the middle of the First World War partly because the British Navy were encircling the German Coast, which stopped food being imported by sea on any meaningful scale, and also because the Potato crop failed. This was partly because of the agricultural infrastructure being damaged by the war effort. The net result of this was the only other root vegetable widely available was the Turnip and by default it became the German People's choice of staple food.

One hundred years later in the winter of 2016/17 in less trying conditions, albeit the odd gun shot gets fired nearby to the neighbourhood now and again, I had found some Turnips at my local fruit and veg shop. I always prefer Turnip to its more popular cousin the Swede, as Turnip is easier to prepare and to cook. It is also less chewy and stringy.

On the evening of Friday 10 February I set to work making a soup to last me over Valentine's Weekend. I topped and tailed, peeled and cubed two Turnips and then topped and tailed, peeled and finely sliced a White Onion.

I then peeled and cubed two Potatoes.

I fried them in my Le Cresceut for twenty-five minutes on  a medium heat with a tablespoon of dried Tarragon, a pinch of Mustard and a pinch of White Pepper.

After the twenty- five minutes were up I added half a pint of Chicken Stock and simmered the ingredients on the hob for another twenty-five minute period.

After that I took it off the hob and left the contents of the Le Cresceut to cool down overnight. The next morning I blended them and later with my lunch warmed them through until the broth bubbled lively. It made a filling and delicious dish to compliment my Saturday lunchtime Cheese and Biscuits. Next day I blended it and it was delicious.

Although I enjoyed the soup and the sour taste of the Turnip, mainly as it had the edge taken off it by the Tarragon and Mustard, if I had to have it with every meal it would get very tiresome. Indeed it must not have been easy for those civilians who had to live on it during that winter one hundred years earlier. A small reason, to go with the many much larger and more significant ones, as to why wars should be avoided at all costs.

Root love: three types of root vegetable form the core ingredients of this soup.

No comments: