Sunday 11 June 2017

Bank Holiday Broccoli

It was a typical Bank Holiday Monday, in terms of the weather at least, the rain fell in the morning and something was needed to occupy me while the weather cleared. Realising I was away the following weekend I decided to relax and cook up a recipe for the blog.

Broccoli is one of those vegetables that tends to polarise people, a little like a green version of marmite. Either way it's a vegetable that's very good for you. On Bank Holiday Monday the Broccoli I'd sourced from the local greengrocers was going in a soup.

It was soup weather as the temperature had dropped after the extreme heatwave that had pervaded the last couple of days of the previous working week and the lion's share of the Bank Holiday Weekend. The kitchen was dimly lit because of the heavy cloud and lack of sunlight and on the player was Neil Young's engaging but equally dark comedown album "Tonight's the Night".

First job was to finely slice a clove of Garlic. Next I cut up a stalk of Broccoli and added it together with the Garlic and a tablespoon of Black Pepper to the Le Cresceut where I fried the ingredients in Rape Seed Oil for twenty minutes.

Then I added half a pint of Vegetable Stock and simmered everything for half an hour. After leaving the ingredients to cool in the dish I blended them and returned them to it. I then added a quarter of a pint of unsweetened Soya Milk and mixed it in. I then warmed it through and served the soup.

There's not much to this soup ingredients wise however there was enough to it to make it a fairly rich and filling one and certainly a dish to pep up the damp day.

Green Goddess- this one looks good for you and tastes better than you'd think.

No comments: