Sunday 4 June 2017

Rum Cake

The other Bank Holiday Monday project was making a cake. It was something I'd not done since the Simnel Cake I made the previous Easter Weekend. I noticed I had some White Rum left from last summer's birthday antics and it was that which inspired me to make a fruitcake that was laced with the stuff.

The ingredients were as follows:

5 tablespoons of White Rum
140 grams of Brown Sugar.
150 grams of Margarine.
200 grams of  Self Raising Flour.
155 grams of  Sultanas
3 Eggs.

First I added the Sultanas and the White Rum to my mixing bowl and left them to soak for ten minutes.

Then I added the Brown Sugar and Margarine and with a wooden spoon creamed together these ingredients with the Sultanas and the White Rum. Once everything was completely mixed together I added the Self Raising Flour and fully mixed it in until I had a thick paste that smelt very alcoholic.

After that it was time to add the Eggs which I cracked and poured the whites and yolks into the mixture. Once they were stirred in I found the mixture had become very runny which is just the way it should be for a cake of this type.

I poured the mixture into a greased cake tin and then cooked it on Gas Mark 4 for one hour and five minutes. I did the usual trick of putting a skewer into the cake and making sure that it came out clean to check it was totally cooked.

After heading out on a brief and misty walk and then falling asleep at my laptop, a side effect of some previous events and lack of sleep in the recent heat, I tasted the cake and found it sweet and flavoursome; much like a good quality rum cocktail.

Planet of the Cake: a cross-section offset against a random globe in my conservatory.





No comments: