Sunday 3 September 2017

Carrot Marsala and Lentil Soup

Saturday morning. The morning after a night out, with good company, at a revamped local pub that sits at the top of a hill in the shadow of an eerie churchyard. Only three and a bit pints had been consumed but I was feeling a little jaded, perhaps partly because I had pushed myself hard at work during the truncated working week that had just finished.

Later on that day my parents were around for a meal as they were off on holiday for nearly three weeks the following day. What to cook? I decided on a three course meal and today's blog entry deals with the first course of that meal.

On the player was one of Frank Zappa's many top drawer live albums. The album I listened to was called "The Best Band you never heard in Your Life". Zappa probably released this record in pique and sadness as it documents his final tour in 1988 that he cancelled after a fall out with his backing band. The title is specifically for the fans who had bought tickets for the cancelled legs of the tour. The record features a mix of Zappa Classics and cover versions, some serious and some clear parodies, of well-known rock numbers. Among the best of these is his cover of "Stairway to Heaven" in which the horn section approximates Jimmy Page's famous guitar work to a tee.

I had consumed quite a few curries recently and had found in my fridge a lot of Carrots that needed eating quickly. That said I settled on preparing a Carrot Marsala and Lentil Soup.

The ingredients of it to try at home are as follows:

For the Soup:
1 Diced Red Onion.
1 Diced Garlic Clove.
1 Cubed and diced White Potato.
1 Tablespoon of Garam Marsala.
1 Tablespoon of ground Coriander.
Half a pint of Vegetable Stock.
1 Can of Green Lentils.

For the Lime Oil

4 Tablespoons of Olive Oil.
Rind of one Lime.

The way I prepared this one was as follows:

1. In my Le Cresceut I sweated the Onion, Garlic, Potato, Coriander and Marsala in Olive Oil with the lid on the Le Cresceut for around half an hour on a medium heat.  

2. After the half an hour was up I added the Vegetable Stock and simmered everything in the Le Cresceut with the lid off for another half an hour.

3. After this I took the Le Cresceut off the heat and left the contents to cool.

4. Once the food had cooled I blended it and returned it to the Le Cresceut.

5. Next I added the Lentils to give the dish some more texture and warmed the soup through so it was ready to serve.

6. While the soup had been cooking on the hob I made the Lime Oil. The way I did this was to put the Olive Oil in a serving bowl. I then grated the Lime Rind in using a cheese grater. Next I stirred it into the Olive Oil with a spoon and left it to cool in the fridge until I was ready to serve the soup.

The soup went down well with everyone. The Marsala and the Coriander gave it a definite taste of some of my local town's better curry houses while the Carrot, Potato and Lentils gave the Soup a real body and plenty of protein.

The Lime Oil was added to the Soup once it had been served and it served as a welcome contrast to some of the more savoury flavours of the soup. With the weather starting to cool this is definitely a soup that will no doubt be made again over the winter months.

The Lime Oil floats on top of the soup as it is less dense than the soup itself.

The Lime Oil is illuminated by the late summer sunlight.

No comments: