Sunday 6 December 2020

Hummus be joking


 In my quest to limit the salt in my diet I recently tried my hand at making Hummus from scratch after the supermarket produced Hummus purchased had felt salty and stale recently. I was inspired by a prominent influencer in my roster to watch a video showing a leading chef make his own Hummus from scratch and his description of how smooth and fresh it is. 

With Chris Rea's mellow, refined and Jazzy 2004 effort the Blue Jukebox on heavy rotation, a sample of which can be found at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL66877F885A21CC23 , I set about preparation of this simple but effective meal.

The ingredients are as follows: 

720 grams of Chick Peas

2 tablespoons of water. 

The juice of 1 Lemon.

2 Garlic Cloves, topped, tailed, peeled and cut finely.

1 tablespoon of Ground Cumin.

1 Green Chilli, the top and seeds removed and cut finely. 

1 teaspoon of Sesame Seeds. 

The method in this recipe is very simple. First put the Lemon Juice into the blender, then add the Cumin and Sesame Seeds. Add the Garlic Cloves next with the Chilli. Finally add the Chick Peas and water then blend everything to a puree. 

The difference between this recipe and supermarket Hummus is telling. Whereas supermarket Hummus sticks to the spoon like the noxious glue we used at Primary School, this homemade Hummus rolls smoothly off the spoon and is smooth and silky rather than claggy and dry. The taste meanwhile is fresh and immediate thanks to the fresh chilli and the Garlic. After this I don't think I'll every buy anything but homemade Hummus. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Out of interest did you use tinned or dried and soaked chickpeas