Sunday 13 December 2020

Shut it, you Tartlet

The mixture of rain in the valley coupled with the sun bursting through a crack in the clouds produced a kind of liquid mercury hue as I gazed down into it from the hill I occupied with the Dogg on our early morning walk. 

Later that day I tried my hand at a spot of baking. On the player was the Who's seminal 1970 live album "Live at Leeds" an album I bought first during the seminal second is year of my A-Levels. A link to the full gig this live album was culled from can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD2Z2HKHDDj2RHp7wjMY54HiJF1z4akc0 

Having looked back for the last time during the October Holiday I was taking, by listening to this music from the past to inspire me in my new future, I focused on the making of some Butter Tartlets. This dish of pastry cases filled with sweet mixture and topped with icing and a glace cherry apparently comes from Canada. 

The ingredients are as follows:

For the shortcrust pastry:

Eight Ounces of Self-Raising Flour. 
Four Ounces of Unsalted Butter. 
Two tablespoons of water if required to soften the pastry to allow it to be rolled.

For the filling

Four Ounces of Mixed Peel
Four Ounces of Demerara Sugar.
One Ounce of Unsalted Butter. melted.
One Egg Beaten. 

For the Topping

A sheet of ready to roll Fondant Icing.
Some Glace Cherries. 

The method goes like this:

1. Rub in the Butter and Flour to make the Pastry. Roll it out then spread it between twelve greased patty-cake tins. 

2. Mix the Mixed Peel,  Demerara Sugar, Egg and Melted Unsalted Butter together in a bowl. Add evenly to the patty-cake tins. 

3. Bake in the oven for twenty minutes at Gas Mark Six. 

4. Turn out the Tartlets and leave on a wire rack to cool. 

5. Once cool top with the Icing and the Glace Cherries. 


No comments: