Sunday 19 February 2017

Fake Shredded Duck

The last weekend in January included a top notch curry in one of the town's premier restaurants, a trip to two local pubs and a winter walk in park that was important for both of us. It also featured me hosting some friends from my university days and cooking them an Oriental themed dinner. One of my friends lived in China for a few years and his better half is from the Philippines originally;so tough crowd...

So what were the ingredients of this innovative dish? Well they were as follows:

Fresh Onion
Fresh Ginger.
Tablespoon of Chinese 5 spice.
Tablespoon of Dried Basil
Tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce.
Three of Cloves Garlic.
Eight ounces Sugar Snap Peas
Four steamed Pak Choi
One Steamed Broccoli.
Fifteen Ounces of Mock Shredded Duck.
A can of Sweetcorn.
A can of Beansprouts.
Forty Ounces of Noodles.

I started by cleaning out the Le Cresceut and putting sunflower oil in the bottom of the dish. Then I diced a White Onion and peeled and chopped finely some fresh Ginger. I added these to the Le Cresceut dish with a tablespoon of Chinese 5 Spice, a tablespoon of dried Basil, a tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce and three cloves of sliced Garlic. I sweated them on a medium heat for around twenty five minutes while stirring them occasionally to stop them sticking to the bottom of the dish and burning up.

After twenty-five minutes I added some mock shredded Duck, which is essentially a quorn-type version of traditional shredded Duck and just as delicious, and Sugar Snap Peas to the dish and stirred them in. At the same time I cut up some Broccoli and cut the bottom off some Pak Choi and put it and the Broccoli in a steamer and steamed it for a further twenty minutes.

After adding the Mock Duck and Sugar Snap Peas I continued to stir the contents of the Le Cresceut dish and once the Pak Choi and Broccoli were cooked I added them to the Le Cresceut dish with a can of Sweetcorn and a can of Beansprouts.

While I had been cooking these ingredients I'd taken the opportunity to boil up forty ounces of Noodles and once they'd been cooked for the length of time required on the packet I served these evenly on each of the plates set aside for my guests. I then added some of the mock duck stir fry to the plates and served them for everyone.

The dish certainly passed the acid test as my friends with the Chinese and Philippine connections showed their appreciation of it and it went down well with everyone too.

Noodles, Broccoli, Sugar Snap Peas, Sweetcorn and Mock Duck amongst other things combine in this delicious dish full of fresh flavours.

No comments: