Sunday 12 February 2017

Saucy Eggs and Cod

On 22 January 2017 I took a chilly winter walk with an equally chilly dog through three woods that were my regular walking patch when I still lived at home. It was the morning after myself and a group of my friends had locked horns with local brainboxes in a fiendishly challenging quiz at a nearby golf course. We had come third and more than held our own with each different team member bringing something invaluable to the party.

On the player to give some inspiration for Sunday Lunch was Elvis' Aloha From Hawaii, which records a now famous gig by the King from Hawaii that was transmitted internationally via Satellite TV. The idea was well ahead of its time and beat Sky Television to its punches by the best part of two decades. The gig, which happened back January 1973, finds our man still on form and just about in control as he ploughs expertly through an energetic set list.

Carrying on the New Year theme of fighting the winter blues with seafood and green vegetables I made Cod with Eggs, Shallot Butter Sauce and steamed New Potatoes.

After cleaning the New Potatoes I steamed them for half an hour.

I then put one Cod Steak on a greased baking tray and cooked it on Gas Mark 4 for 25 minutes.

While the Cod and potatoes were cooking I made the sauce and the ingredients were as follows:

2 diced Garlic Cloves
1 thinly Sliced Shallott.
3 ounces Margarine.
1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
3 ounces Cress.
1 tablespoon White Wine Vinegar.
Juice of 1 Lemon.

The sauce was easy to make as after I had melted the Margarine in a saucepan I then added the other ingredients and stewed them on a medium heat for 20 minutes stirring them occasionally.

Doing my best to multi task; about twenty minutes prior to the Potatoes and the Cod being ready I brought a pan of water to the boil and added the Yolk and White of three Eggs. I then boiled them in the pan for five minutes stirring them regularly. After that I drained the Eggs by which time the Potatoes, Cod and Sauce were ready.

I laid out the Cod steak and Potatoes on a bed of  lettuce on my dinner plate and then decorated everything with the Sauce.

What I had created was a meal that was delicious, rich yet full of protein that definitely helped keep any winter stress away prior to the start of action-packed week that saw me visit a variety of eclectic locations.

The barely visible Cod Steak rests on fresh Lettuce Leaves and is surrounded by Potatoes and Eggs while being smothered with Sauce.

No comments: